Got the job! Congratulations. But wait take your time and consider these questions to ask before accepting a job offer.
It is exciting to get a job offer from a company. You are happy that you crack it after a lot of interview preparation. Of course, you did! But do not say yes in excitement. You should hold on and determine whether it is the place where you really wanted to work and does it is suitable for you.
I have prepared a list of things that you can ask the hiring manager and yourself before taking up an offer.
Questions to Ask Before Accepting a Job Offer
When you are giving your interview your employer asked you so many questions related to your skills, work experience, etc. fair enough as they are hiring you.
But when you finally get the offer and you are hired by the company now it’s your turn to check whether this position satisfies your career goals? Go through the list below which will help you to decide whether you should take an offer or not.
You must clear all your doubts before starting a position. For this, you have to ask questions about your job role and what are your responsibilities. Here is the list of questions you can ask.
- What is my expected start date for the position?
- What do my daily job responsibilities entail?
- What expectations will you have for me when I start this position?
- How would you measure my success, if I were chosen for this role?
- Could you give an example of a typical working day?
- What would be my immediate priorities for this role?
- What will my weekly schedule be?
- Do you have any reservations about me or my background for this position?
- What hours and shifts does my department have?
When you ask queries about company work culture it will help you to understand how is the company environment and how well you can fit into it. Every organization works differently so consider some questions before joining. See the list below.
- Can you tell me more about the company?
- Can you give me a tour of the office so I can see where I would work?
- How is work-life balance in the company?
- Can you tell me about your new products or plans if possible?
- Do you offer any flexible work programs?
- What unique perks does the company offer?
- Would I be able to represent the company at industry events and conferences?
- What are the long-term prospects for the person who takes up the job?
- What do you offer in regards to training the employees?
Salary & Benefits
You must be keen to know about the salary and other benefits which are provided by the company. But make sure to ask these things after you receive the job offer.
You can discuss your salary requirements and can ask about other perks at a later stage when you have the offer in your hand. Consider the questions mentioned below.
- Is the salary negotiable?
- What is included as a part of your benefits package?
- What are the core working hours?
- Is there a draw against the base pay?
- What benefits does the benefits package include?
- Will I get the flexibility of working from home once in a while?
- What kind of opportunities exists for personal growth?
- When would I be eligible to receive benefits?
- Can I carry over the paid vacation time if I don’t utilize it?
- Do employees accrue paid time off?
- What are your vacation and sick leave policies?
- Do you offer any retirement program benefits?
- How much of the cost of benefits does the company cover?
- Do you offer dental and vision insurance?
- How many sick days and personal days will I get?
- Will the company cover my relocation expenses?
When you ask questions about career growth in the company this will help you to decide how well do the job offer help you in your professional growth.
Learning is important and you will have to find out that whether the job offer will provide you a growth angle or not. So to get a clear understanding of this check out the questions below.
- What professional development opportunities does the organization provide?
- What is the average amount of time someone spends in this role?
- Is there a probationary period in this role?
- Are there any Education Opportunities?
- What Opportunities Are Available for Professional Growth?
- Does the company provide resources for continuing education?
- Does the position offer room for advancement?
- How long is the initial training period?
- What advancement opportunities exist for someone in this role?
Other Questions Which You Can Ask Yourself
At this point, I suppose you have clear all your doubts with the employer and the hiring manager about your job role, salary, etc. But now it is you who have to evaluate each and everything before you go for your new job. I have listed some questions which will help you.
- Am I excited about the position?
- Is the company stable with a good reputation?
- How do I feel about the company? Does the culture fit me, and do I support their mission?
- Am I comfortable with the salary?
- If the money was not a factor, would I want this job?
- Does this job move me closer to my long-term career goals?
- Can I picture myself doing this job and being happy doing it?
You must consider certain things before joining your new job. Salary is not the only thing to check. To spend a good professional life in your working space many other things matter. I hope the above list of questions helped you in making a decision.
Over to You
Have you taken up a new offer? Or did you join a new company? What are the things which you ask from your employer before joining? Please share your experiences.
I would love to hear from you.